About Elder Services
Kamloops’ Elder Services provides support for indigenous individuals, or individuals interested in following traditional Indigenous teachings, to establish or reconnect with the cultural and spiritual aspects of their identity. This is provided through a combination of one-to-one and group services, as well as special events, activities, and celebrations.
Elder Services are available to existing service users engaged in other Connective programs.
The program provides a range of services, including:
- Resolution Circles, to resolve an issue in a way that is satisfactory to all parties
- Healing Circles, to bring harmony back to the participants
- Teaching Circles, to discuss and share ideas about a topic so participants can learn and grow on their spiritual path
- Sharing Circles, to deal grief, disruption, or loss
- Sweat lodge ceremonies and preparation
- Maintenance of the sacred grounds
- Accompanying individuals to community activities and events
- Attending indigenous screenings with CSC office
- Attending case reviews for Indigenous individuals
- Providing consultation to Connective and CSC regarding breaches, suspensions, and releases of Indigenous individuals
- Circle gatherings at CBFs and Lighthouse
- One-to-one counselling
- Participation in cultural meals and celebrations
Elder Services helps guarantee the provision of culturally appropriate supports to Indigenous service users. For many, connection to Indigenous services and cultural pieces play an important part in their successful transition to independence.